A Pokédex App
I was thinking about creating a Pokédex app back in May. As time goes by, I have a growing desire to try new things like Swift, Storyboard & UI Design and create an iOS app myself. For a variety of reasons, a Pokédex app is the best fit.
There have been a dozen Pokédex apps in App Store, one is officially made by The Pokémon Company, which is gorgeous but lack of Generation VI update and not available in App Stores of Greater China. Some are pulled because of copyright complaints from Nintendo or TPC. My current favorite one is Oak, its design is beautiful and minimal.
I have several original consideration about making this app:
- This app must be totally legitimate. It won’t contain any copyrighted material of Pokémon, such as images and cries. I’ll draw vector icons representing Poké Ball and other Pokémon concepts, but I’ll try my best to avoid trademark infringement. Even so I can’t prevent the app get rejected or pulled if Nintendo, TPC or Apple is unhappy with it.
- This app will be iPhone (or iPod touch) and iOS 7+ only. It’s not enjoyable to support older system and I think reading articles on a Pokémon wiki is a better experience for iPad. I don’t know how to write Android apps (yet) and there are many more Android Pokédex apps.
- It will use data and content from veekun’s database and 52Poké Wiki under the corresponding licenses. But the app is not affiliated with 52Poké, and of course Nintendo/Game Freak/TPC. I’m solely responsible for it.
- It’s a non-commercial app, and under 52Poké Wiki’s content license it must be. It’s free, no in-app purchase and no ads.
- This app is written in Swift and will use Storyboard. I’ll also try many iOS 7-inspired ideas in it to make the adventure pleasant.
- It will contain an Individual Value calculator, but it might not be shipped with 1.0.
- The app’s interface and most description will be Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and terminology like Pokémon names could be chosen from Chinese, Japanese and English.
- It can be used offline, and it can update translations or external links when online.
- There’s no ETA for this app. I would put a bit work on it every weekend or every several weekends.
I’ve already start prototyping it today with Xcode 6 beta 4. So far I feel good. There should be some entries about this journey in the coming months.