As MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is now my primary device, I did some research about the current status about USB-C (or formally USB Type-C), and look forward to a USB-C only future.
- Many USB-C devices don’t provide USB-C to USB-C cables, such as Samsung T3 drive and Drobo 5c. That’s bad for MacBook and 2016 MacBook Pro users.
- The USB-C to USB-C cable in box of 2016 Mac laptops is only USB 2.0.
- The USB-C to USB-C cable in box of Google Phones is only USB 2.0.
- The USB-C to USB-C cables sold by Google or Huawei are only USB 2.0.
- I can’t find a 0.5m USB-C to USB-C cable supporting USB 3.0 (5Gbps) or USB 3.1 (10Gbps).
- The only USB-C to USB-C cable able I found to connect USB-C (5Gbps or up) devices is Belkin USB-C 3.1 cable. It’s thick.
- Apple’s HDMI Adapter is disappointing as it can’t be used to charge 15 inch MacBook Pro, since it only provides 55W power.
- Apple’s USB-C to Lightning cable feels much robust than the USB-A one. Hope it could be included in every future iOS devices.
- I don’t have a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, I wonder whether connecting the 87W/61W MacBook Pro charger and 12.9 inch iPad Pro with the USB-C to Lightning cable could enable fast charing. (some says it’s only charging at 12W but Apple is optimistic about it.)
- The 87W MacBook Pro charger can charge my iOS devices at 12W.
- The SanDisk USB-C SD-Card Reader works well with Android devices.
- The Belkin USB-C to Mini USB cable works well with my HHKB keyboard and Blu-ray drives. (Some of my USB-A to Mini USB cables can’t provide enough power for Blu-ray drives, but this one has no problem.)
- I can’t find good USB-C to multiple (3 or more) USB-C port hubs. While the LG 5K Thunderbolt Display sold by Apple is the a qualified one.
My current setup of the 4 ports on my MacBook Pro:
- Apple’s USB-C charge cable and 87W power adapter
- Apple’s HDMI Adapter to connect my Dell 23 inch display
- Belkin’s USB-C to Mini USB cable to connect my keyboard or Blu-ray drive
- Apple’s USB-C to Lightning cable to connect iOS devices / Belkin’s USB-C to USB-C cable to connect an Android device or a Samsung T3 drive
What I don’t want:
- USB hub / dongle with a lot legacy ports